Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Presidential Elections

So, we had the much-anticipated presidential elections yesterday. In my area, all seemed to go quite well. As I was getting ready to leave the house at 8am, my brother told me that he had just read that the polls would not open until 10 as the voting materials had only been flown in from South Africa the night before. Well, whatever! I took the opportunity to eat breakfast and left the house around 10.

It was back to Tantalizers, where I had voted last week. As I got there, I saw a fairly long (but not too long) line of people had formed. The INEC officials were not yet there. Together with the lady standing next to me, I got a chair from the outdoor church and sat patiently reading (Yay!!!! I finally started Changes by Ama Ata Aidoo) and waiting for the arrival of the officials.

Almost everyone else went to get a chair and we all sat, talked, drank, ate and generally passed the time in a pleasant (or not so pleasant for those in the direct line of the sun) way. When the officials came, the voting commenced within minutes and we played pseudo musical chairs, as the line moved and we shuffled from the chair we were sitting on to the one in front. It was all so eerily organised, I struggled to believe that this was a Nigerian queue (sorry, NYSC, the banks, fast-food eateries and just about every other institution I have had cause to visit bring up infuriating memories). Okay, well, this was no ordinary Naija queue, this being Lekki and all.

Now, we wait for the results.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Itll be interesting to see how this pans out.