Friday, July 10, 2009

This & That. Plus Chimamanda Adichie Events


I have woefully neglected this blog. I really cannot believe that it's been close to a month since I last posted. And I am not really sure that I could tell you what I was doing in that time that prevented me from blogging. Well, I can, but it just doesn't sound very impressive to tell it.

There were countless arts events that I wanted to announce and blog about, but many have passed. Alas!
So, looking forward....

This Saturday (July 11) at 4PM, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie will be reading from her latest book the Thing Around Your Neck at the Silverbird Galleria, Victoria Island, Lagos. I read it a few months ago and it was a tight collection of stories, which deftly wove the immigrant experience with tales of being on the outside. I have also attended a book reading with Ms. Adichie in January 2007 when Half of a Yellow Sun came out and it was a rich and enlightening afternoon for me.

If you are a budding writer, then perhaps you will want to apply for the Farafina Trust Creative Writing Workshop to be held in September 17 - 16, 2009. The workshop will feature Chimamanda along with fellow writers Binyananga Wainaina, Nathan Englander, Jackie Kay and Zoe Heller.

To apply, send an e-mail to udonandu2009@gmail.com (subject should read 'workshop Application'). The body of the e-mail should contain:
- Applicant's Name
- Applicant's Address
- A few sentences about applicant
- A writing sample of between 200 to 800 words (fiction or non-fiction)

Deadline: July 30, 2009

See nbplc.com/newsdetails3.php?action=viewnews&n=35 for more info.

6 comments:

FIGE said...

well, thanks very much for the info, would as directed. thanks

Ayomipo Matthew Edinger said...

hi ore, been ages...joy bewaji told me about the reading...am hoping to make it so maybe i will get to see you after such a long time.

chad said...

This is outside the topic but is that really your voice?

Ore said...

@ Ayo, did you go eventually? I ended up at the Galleria for a totally different reason, but was about 40 minutes too early and could not wait.

@ Chad, no that is not my voice. LOL! It was the default voice option.

Rose said...

Ore, that's been terrible, a whole wan month! Glad to have you back.

Ore said...

Thanks, Madu! Life just kind of took over. Blogging requires so much discipline to be regular.