Sunday, September 30, 2007

Battle of the Sexes

I don't seem to write as often as I used to. Ah, I guess it's just cycles in my life. This is one of those busy periods, which will hopefully be followed by an extremely chilled-out couple of months.

I breezed through some of the Sunday papers this afternoon and the Battle of the Sexes column in Guardian's Life magazine caught my eye. The first time I saw it, I just thought "What the hell?"

Basically each week the column poses a question to a group of young men and women (most of them seem to be in university, which might partially explain the high level of inane responses). Men respond, I suppose giving the "male" perspective, while the women respond with the "female" perspective.

First off, I hate, hate, hate things that pitch men against women. It's totally unnecessary and pointless. Secondly, the questions are always incendiary, leading to usually ignorant statements and generalisations. Today's topic questioned whether we really live in a man's world.

Some choice responses from the men include:

"Who wants to compete that it's a man's world. Women are just tools in our hands. They occupy a loop hole that wasn't meant to be there in the first place....."

"If the women have a world, it's certainly underneath the men. Apart from there, I don't see any other space for them in the world."

"It's a man's world, no doubt. We rule in all ramifications and after we're all made and done, we buy up a woman. Well, they call it dowry but in its orginal truth, we just buy them to keep company."

some of the women had this to say:
"The woman is wiser, smarter and more intelligent; plus we've got 'bottom power'"


"Take a look at the world and tell me who you think rules. No musical video makes sense if no babe shakes her buddy (I guess supposed to read 'booty')."

I suppose it's supposed to be a light-hearted debate between the sexes, but the ignorance and chauvinism behind many of the statements (and sorry to say it, but especially the men's) makes it hard to chuckle over. Instead I'm hissing non-stop until I get tired and flip the page.

7 comments:

Refinedone said...

when you finish hissing, I'll continue for you...

Ayomipo Matthew Edinger said...

happy independence big sis...yes am in the office, no, i dont have to be. am just surfing and preparing to watch LOST..he he.

Esquire said...

As my Aunty would say "They have no thinking faculty"

uknaija said...

Oh dear, the road is far....

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

i saw this in d paper as well and i did exactly what u did, just flipped over, i didnt even read ore than one... its sad honestly!! we have bottom power??? how backwards is that!!

Nigerian Woman in Norway said...

for goodness sake...those answers are too stupid. and the women's answeres were even worse.

Ore said...

I noticed that there was no Battle of the Sexes column in today's magazine.