Sunday, June 12, 2011

Women in Science

This New York times article Women Atop Their Fields Dissect the Scientific Life does just that. A group of women scientists share the joys and the challenges of life as a scientist - particularly life as a female scientist. They talk about the struggles of doing research and their dreams for their daughters.

I am experiencing the challenges of research right now. I have a research report (draft!!!! I keep reminding myself to somewhat alleviate the tension I am feeling) and amidst the plethora of other tasks that I have manage daily, some things that require time and concentration kind of get pushed to the back of my pile. And you know how it is, the more you push something away, the bigger it looms in your mind's eye, and more more terrifying it starts to feel.

The best way to deal with it is to push aside all the other less important or urgent things and get stuck in working on it. That usually does the trick for me and then when I'm able to truly focus and get into a zone, I start to feel the love for that aspect of my work.

I like what Dr. Hirsch, one of the scientists interviewed said:
The great discovery for me was the middle of the night. It’s all done, and everybody has gone to bed. You can go to your computer and sit down and work. The middle of the night has been what saved my life as a scientist.


And don't I know this so well. What time is again?

No comments: