Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Vacation Reading: Marrying Anita


Aaaah, it's good to be on holiday and to be under no compulsion to get-up early or to work - though strangely enough, I find myself doing both anyway.

I just finished the first book of my vacation, Marrying Anita by Anita Jain. Many years ago after visiting India, I developed a strong interest in Indian literature and read everything I came across. It's been a while since I read anything by an author from the sub-continent.

The title of Jain's book is chicklit-ish, but I decided to buy it anyway, intrigued in reading about her perspective and experiences on finding the right partner. Well, it was certainly an interesting and easy read, as Ms. Jain is a good writer with a wry sense of humour. However, is she serious about finding a husband? No, I don't think so! It was painful and increasingly tiresome to read about her drinking, getting stoned and her sexual escapades. Never have I seen such shooting ones' self in the foot.

All the classic signs of not really wanting a relationship are here: sabotaging promising relationships; lusting after unavailable men; behaving inappropriately while on dates (e.g drinking herself blind).

I don't expect to like the characters in the books I'm reading. In fact it's usually more interesting (though often torturous) when I don't. However, it's more painful when I know that someone actually behaved in this way/said these things that are making me cringe in shame.

Okay, bring on the next book.

No comments: