Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Swimming - A Love Story

Protea Kuramo Waters poolPhoto Credit: Protea Kuramo Waters

So, how was your long weekend? Mine was fabulous. I intended on reading, watching movies, sleeping and swimming. And I did all of the above.

I love swimming and started swimming when I was about 8 or 9. However, years of barely catching glimpse of a pool (much less dipping into one) left me with very rusty techniques. Or so I think. Some others would beg to disagree. But I know how breathless I am after a lap and how I feel like I am expending so much energy only to crawl from one end of the pool to the other.

So, it was with great joy that I found a flier in my gym for swimming lessons. It's been great! So far, I have learnt that I need to put more power into my breaststroke. On Thursday, I learnt that I'm not kicking my legs enough in my freestyle and need to be more graceful. However, learning what I need to do and being able to do it have been two very different things for me.

So, what have I actually been able to do? Well, I can now swim near the bottom of the pool, which is something that I never could before. Hitherto, my body refused to leave its comfortable proximity to the surface of the water - which for my sake is probably a good thing. I can hold my breathe for longer and so can swim underwater for longer.

The pool is gorgeous too. Not an Olympic-sized pool by any means, but it's the average size for a Lagos pool. It's right by the Atlantic Ocean, which almost (almost, not quite) leaves you feeling that you're about to leap into the wide blue yonder.

I always thought that it would be fun to be part of a regular swimming group, alas it feels like many Nigerians (women especially) do not share this my love. Well, I'm a water-baby and am happy to be reconnected with my love and learning how to do it better.

2 comments:

The Activist said...

I would love to swim too... I need to learn! Good to know you had fun

Ore said...

Thought you started learning. But it needs constant practice. Yes, I had lots of fun.