The 1-week residential camp, which will take place in Lagos in August 2008, is aimed at bridging the technology gap between boys and girls earlier in their career path. The camp is designed to encourage young women to choose a career path in information and communication technology (ICT) or to develop more interest in using and/or managing ICTs.
The primary aims of this camp are to:
- Introduce young Nigerian women to a variety of computer applications and other ICTs, which they can use productively for leisure, school and work, and help develop their skills in using them
- Encourage the young women to consider a technology career, by giving a realistic and positive idea of computing-related careers through career talks and career-themed films
- Help the young women plan their future careers with the assistance of mentors and women currently working in these fields
The programme is targeted at female students who are:
- Currently in JSS 2 to SSS 2 and no younger than 11 years of age
- Interested in computers and other ICTs
- Considering a career in a computing-related field or one in which computers will be used frequently
Nominations should be sent to email@example.com, with the following information: First and Last Names; Class; Age; School; Contact Address; Phone Number; and Email Address.
Alternatively, visit the W.TEC website to read more and apply.