Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Devdas

Devdas Film PosterFinally finished watching this last night. I got the film from my brother as a birthday gift, who knew that I really wanted to see it.

Devdas stars the gorgeous Aishwarya Rai and the mega Bollywood star, Sharukh Khan. Also in a major role was the actress, Madhuri Dixit, who I think I might have heard of. She was (as are most Bollywood actresses) incredibly beautiful and her performance as a courtesan was amazing. She was by turns tough and calculating; and then love-stricken and anguished by the knowledge that Devdas would never love her in the way that she desired. I think she might have been a better actress than Ash (as her fans call her) – at least, I’m of the opinion that she outshone her in this film.

Devdas, according to the film's website, is "the saga of a man who loved, loved, and just loved ..." I thought that he was just an incredibly self-centered and self-absorbed so-and-so, who did not deserve the attention of the two women who loved him (played by Aishwarya and Madhuri). The story is a long and convoluted one, interspersed by many a happy song and dance routine, and which you will just have to go and read-up about. But, if I could describe the film in a few words, it would be "sumptuous" and "lavish." The set, the costumes and the glorious scenery all spoke of the no-expenses-spared budget.

While watching this film, I became aware of how my viewing habits have changed over the years. Now, I’m so pre-occupied with trying to get a million things done that I barely have the time to sit down and watch a movie, much less devote all of my attention to it. Thus, I find myself doing a multitude of things as I 'watch' movies. With Devdas, I could not do this of-course, because it is a subtitled movie and so I had to focus on every line of dialogue. As a result, I’ve been watching this movie since December.

Damn! How will I watch any movies when I have children and my life becomes even busier? My membership to the "Avid Film Fan Club" might actually be revoked.

2 comments:

Pilgrimage to Self said...

Damn! How will I watch any movies when I have children and my life becomes even busier? My membership to the "Avid Film Fan Club" might actually be revoked.'

Ore, a truer word has never been spoken! sigh.

Jeremy said...

Hi Ore - I am in Lagos - can you txt me the details of the Bombay restaurant you mentioned earlier - 0803 629 9282 thanks Jeremy