Tagged!Drat! I'd managed to avoid this so far, but eventually Sokari got me.
So, I'm passing on the (ahem) joy to: Adefunke; Everchanging World; Pilgrimage to Self and Frances. Enjoy as I have enjoyed, girls and may the force be with you! Here are my answers.
1. Black and White or Color; how do you prefer your movies?
ANS: Definitely full, glorious Technicolor! When I was younger, even the thought of watching a movie in black and white gave me a headache. Now, some of my favourite movies are in B&W ("All About Eve" and lots of Katherine Hepburn films).
2. What is the one single subject that bores you to near-death?
ANS: Probably politics. I feel guilty saying this, because it’s something that affects us all and so I know that I should be more interested in it.
3. MP3s, CDs, Tapes or Records: what is your favorite medium for prerecorded music?
ANS: CDs - without a doubt. Most of my tapes don’t play anymore and I have just a few MP3s. I like the crackly sound that records make, but that’s about it. Aren’t DJs really the only people still buying records?
4. You are handed one first class trip plane ticket to anywhere in the world and ten million dollars cash. All of this is yours provided that you leave and not tell anyone where you are going … Ever. This includes family, friends, everyone. Would you take the money and ticket and run?
ANS: So this means that I won’t ever see my family again? This is a no-brainer – of-course, I would not take the money.
5. Seriously, what do you consider the world’s most pressing issue now?
ANS: HIV/AIDS. Even though there are so many serious issues, I think this one is the deadliest because it’s wiping out generations of people at an alarming rate.
6. How would you rectify the world’s most pressing issue?
ANS: If one person could do that then it would not be the pressing issue that it is. However, education is very important to give people the knowledge of how the disease is transmitted and how they can protect themselves. Money to buy the needed drugs and make it freely available to people who need it is also very important. Reducing poverty is another important strategy, because poorer and less-empowered people (e.g. women dependent on a philandering husband who is the major breadwinner of the family) are frequently more vulnerable.
7. You are given the chance to go back and change one thing in your life; what would that be?
ANS: Nothing! I think everything happens for a reason and everything is the way it was meant to be.
8. You are given the chance to go back and change one event in world history, what would that be?
ANS: Slavery and the colonization of Africa
9. A night at the opera, or a night at the Grand Ole’ Opry – Which do you choose?
ANS: Had to check this up, as I had never heard of the Grand Ole’ Opry. Turns out it’s a famous concert hall in Nashville, TN and the "mother church" (according to a website I found) of Country music. Uhm, safe in that knowledge, it will have to be a night at the opera.
10. What is the one great unsolved crime of all time you’d like to solve?
ANS: Why hasn’t Idris Elba won any major acting awards, when far less talented actors are getting wholely undeserved recognition.
11. One famous author can come to dinner with you. Who would that be, and what would you serve for the meal?
ANS: Argh! How can I pick just one, when I love so many? I think it might have to be Jhumpa Lahiri. Even though she’s not my favourite writer, I really like her books and I think we’d have a lot to talk about. (But ask me this question on another day and you’d probably get a totally different answer).
For food? Nigerian and Indian food. So maybe, we’d start with samosas and some small chops (stick meat, puff-puff) and for the main meal, some rice with chicken jalfrezi, fried plantain and moin-moin. And some Indian sweets for dessert.
12. You discover that John Lennon was right, that there is no hell below us, and above us there is only sky — what’s the first immoral thing you might do to celebrate this fact?
ANS: I never do immoral things anway, so this knowledge really wouldn’t affect me. Hehe! Seriously, I *know* there is a heaven and a hell and so I’d dismiss this as the latest scientific finding, which will be disproved in a few months by another new finding.