Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Essence Magazine Jan 2006 cover

Wanted (Dead or Alive): Essence Magazine

I'm in dire, desperate need of the January 2006 issue of Essence magazine. That's yet another thing that I miss about being in Boston: the fact that I got the latest, glossy and attractively laid-out issue of Essence delivered to my very doorstep. What could be better? It was usually sent-out in the third week of the month and I checked my mailbox everyday after work with anticipation. When I finally received it, I would greedily stare at the cover for ages, before gingerly flipping through its pages. I'd do this once, before skimming through the articles, after which I'd finally settle down to read the articles in-depth.

Since I got back home, I have been getting my copy from Nu Metro. They only ever seem to have one copy of the mag when I go and I'm always nervous about what will happen the month I go in and the one copy has been bought by another Essence fan. Maybe that's what happened this month. I went in last week dutifully to see whether they had the January issue in, but no luck. I asked the lady at the counter and she had no idea when they would get it and suggested that I keep checking. I have done that several times since and still, no dice.

I know it seems crazy - all this fuss for a magazine. How can I even begin to explain the frisson of excitement that runs through me when I see the new cover for the first time, much less when I actually get my hands on it? I don't think I can, so just take it from me: my love for Essence is great and inexplicable, especially given the fact that they are no longer 100% African-American owned (I was really proud of that, even though I am not African-American) and I can already start to see an ever-so-slight move towards broader appeal (read: to non-African-Americans and blacks). I am not racist, but after years of reading magazines that were so obviously targeted at Caucasian women (from the hair and skin advice, to the lack of ethnic diversity of models used), I was so happy to finally discover a publication created with ME in mind.

3 comments:

Pilgrimage to Self said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pilgrimage to Self said...

'When I finally received it, I would greedily stare at the cover for ages, before gingerly flipping through its pages. I'd do this once, before skimming through the articles, after which I'd finally settle down to read the articles in-depth'.

I thought I was the only one who did this!!!!! It's EXACTLY what I do when I get my Oprah magazine. Sometimes, I can stare at the front cover for two days ( no kidding) before actually reading it. The anticipation is like nothing else!! Oh, you do make me laugh!! I could get you the January issue of Essence, but I get the funny feeling that it will not get to you if I pop it into the post for Nigeria.

Find out if they have an online version - but then again, it's not the same thing, is it?

Ore said...

@Blue: I will definitely check out your poem whenever I get my copy. It's great to know people who are interested in writing.

@Pilgimage to self: Thanks for offering to send me a copy, but I also have a feeling that I'd never get it. Also, I need to figure out how to make sure that I get a copy every month. I'll see if any of the bookstores here will let me place a standing order.