Tuesday, January 23, 2007

When Technology Fails

Or perhaps that should be, when people with the technology fail.

I blogged about my dear iPod dying on me a few weeks ago. Well, I'm happy to report that is has been brought back to life by the wonderful people at Superior Equipment. I dropped it there, thinking that it would probably have to be replaced. I got a call a few hours after I had left that I could come and pick it up. What??? I thought. Okay, I had not tried to reset it or tried troubleshooting. I did that the first time around and this time, I just could not be bothered.

Well, I picked my iPod up on Saturday from their Civic Centre shop only to find it truly was working. I don't know what they did, but I'm very glad that I don't have to bother uploading all my songs and video to a new iPod.

Then, last week my phone slipped out of my bag into some water. The minute it hit the water it went off. I hurriedly fished it out and wiped it down. I tried to switch on the phone but it didn't come on, so I decided it was best to let ir dry. My sister managed to slide the back open to get our the battery and SIM. I let these dry before trying the SIM in my old phone. Luckily, the SIM worked in my old phone and I had lots of numbers stored on it. Unluckily for me, however, most of the numbers I had gotten over the last 7 or 8 months were stored on the phone itself and, yes, I don't have these backed up anywhere. On this realisation, I just about went into some kind of shock. I wondered how I would live without these very important numbers. Surprisingly though, barely a day later, I found myself surviving extremely well, thank you very much! We think we are so hooked onto certain things and will absolutely die when we don't have them (figuratively speaking, of course!) and we surprise ourselves by our ability to forget very easily.

Anyway, after months about entertaining fleeting thoughts of backing up my computer and then actually getting 'round to do it with CDs (of all things!!) and then running out of CDs, because I have just too many files to be effectively backed up by this system, I finally went out and bought an external hard drive. I decided that I had to do it on Saturday, by hook or by crook.
It has 300GB, far more than I probably need but it cost virtually the same as the 160GB so it didn't even make sense on any level to buy the smaller drive.

I spent the early hours of Sunday morning formatting the drive and backing up. Now I am a very happy (and secured) girly.


naijagal said...

good stuff glad to hear technology works in Naija! hey ore can we swap links;)

c0dec said...

once dropped my phone in water (actually the toilet). left it to dry for a day but it didnt come back so i got a new phone. bout 2 months later, a friend of mine asked me for a phone and i jokingly gave him the dead phone. i was shocked - the phone was back to life! nokia rules!

Pilgrimage to Self said...

To think I blogged about this not too long ago and look what's happened to you!! Once dropped my phone down the toilet after I had taken a wee (and I hadn't flushed yet!!!) and it self charged for one hour!!! Ha, don't underestimate the potent power of wee. LOL. But it worked as normal after that but I confess I changed the phone soon after :-)

adefunke said...

Next time your phone drops in water, IMMEDIATELY remove the battery, DO NOT attempt to put it on. Allow to air dry for atleast 24 hrs, you should be okay. As per you IPod, mine went and hung on me the other day and I thought it had konked out. I found a link online that said to hold down a combination of buttons and the thing 'rebooted' and came on again.

Ore said...

LOL! What are you people doing with your phone in the toilet.

Okay, mine actually fell down the toilet too. Long story, which is not necessary to get into at this point.

It took me a long time to get the battery out of the phone, because Nokia's 8800 is just one of the most user unfriendly phones out there. I could not slide open the back to save my life. And even when I bought it, it took about 3 men in the shop to get it open. Why I still bought it after all that confounds me. I guess I was totally seduced by the sleek design. (Shame on me!!!)

Anyway, the phone is still not working and I've temporarily abandoned it for my cheap but hardy older Nokia model. I'll look for a phone expert in the meantime.